Tuesday 16 November 2010

Pre-Production Evaluation (Cinematography)

Cinematographer- Josh Murray

In the creation of any film there are many roles which all need to be fulfilled to ensure that the film is planned, shot, edited and completed to the best possible quality. This was no different with our horror opening, although the fact that our group includes just two people meant that we realised we would have to share many jobs between us. However, we both decided on a role which we would focus on throughout the process, and I chose to be the cinematographer.

My role will be a very important one if we are to make a top quality film, and will require me to play a massive part throughout the entire shooting process.
Firstly, I will be responsible for maintaining that each setting is correct, and that all the props are positioned effectively to create the right atmosphere and mise-en-scene for our genre: in the case of 'Home Video', I will have to ensure that generic conventions such as shadows are upheld, and that effective props such as the televisions are working prior to shooting. Our aim is of course to create the best possible film, and a massive aspect of this is continuity. Although this aspect will be examined and adjusted in the editing suite, it is the job of the cinematographer to guarantee that each shot (from different angles and positions) will not reveal differing situations.

Possibly the most prominent role for me in our task will be the actual filming. Our film must be between 4 and 5 minutes in length, and after writing our script, step outline and written storyboard we managed to decide on 78 shots that would be needed. It will be my job to position everything in the scene (the actors, props and lighting) as well as the camera itself, and then shoot the scene; this could mean I just stand there and watch over the action, or use the camera if tracking, panning or zooming is needed. As I wish for our film to look professional, I will take it upon myself to reshoot any shot which looks poor or are not completed in the way that we envisaged.
However, although we have decided on a definite amount of shots, this is going to be flexible, and I believe that we will shoot over 100 shots to create a lot of items to be used by the editor. These decisions will again lie with me, and I will confer with Sam when making changes or additions to shots throughout the film.
The relationship between the cinematographer and the editor is vital, and Sam and I will make sure that we always talk through the shots that I am going to take, as it will be he who has to work with the shots in the editing suite.

An important resource that we have used throughout our planning process has been the various films that relate to our sub-genre of psychological horror. The ones that inspired me most as a cinematographer were 'The Grudge' and 'The Ring', as both use camera angles and mise-en-scene to enhance the tension and fear which is already evident through the setting. Firstly, the use of televisions as a tool for the supernatural in 'The Ring' is something that we are very keen on using, and I have already planned several canted angle shots of the television which will create a sense of confusion in the first and final scene. Furthermore, there is several high angle shots in both films (especially on the stairs) that show the position of weakness and loneliness that the protagonist finds themselves in; this is something I plan to shoot as our female character ascends the stairs cautiously. Finally, the way that the film openings are shot allow the viewer to understand that something 'supernatural' is going on, whilst keeping the narrative restricted, as we are never certain of what is occuring. This is something I will concentrate on in the final scene, when the character begins to feel uncomfortable.

Overall, my role as cinematographer will mean that I must take a constant interest in the entire shooting process; ensuring that the scene is perfect BEFORE the camera begins to roll, at which point I will stand behind the camera and shoot the entire scene. Although it is a lot of work, I feel that the role will be both enjoyable and rewarding, and I can learn a lot about the processes as I go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment