Wednesday 1 December 2010

Production evaluation

Production evaluation

As role of editor it was vital for me to play a significant part in the shooting of our horror film. This is because it was important for me to see which shots worked very well on the day and which did not. At the start of each scene I was able to say on camera if the shot before was relevant and what I did or didn’t like about it, making it a lot easier when it comes down to the final editing.
Also, I liaised with the director, cinematographer and the sound designer to tell them which shots I thought would work for good continuity and composition. I asked the cinematographer if he could shoot the scenes in long parts so that when it comes to the editing I can make shots shorter where needed to make good continuity. If the shots weren’t long enough, it would have made it a nightmare. I would have had to have put several short shots together to make a longer scene. The camera could’ve been in different places and the composition may not be the same throughout if it was shot in smaller shots. I also gave advice to the director as to where the camera had to be put in order to maintain good continuity throughout the final film. And, because I already have an idea as to what the final film should look like, due to the fact that I have to edit it, I advised the director about certain shots which I thought would add the most horror affect to the final film, and would show the characteristics of a psychological horror.
To make the final sequence look perfect it was vital for me to make sure that the pace and length of each shot was adequate and fitted the scene. A shot that looked out of place, or which was shot too slow or too long had to be removed or noted down whether the shot was good or not. If the run up to our final shot was too fast, it may not have delivered the right amount of tension, because a slow shot creates fear and a sense of unknown for the audience. Also, during the kitchen scene, if the victim shut the fridge door slowly, it wouldn’t have had an as big effect as if she closed it fast. When the pace of a shot is fast, it gets the audience panicking and increases the nerves, furthermore, it foreshadows that something is going to happen towards the end of the sequence.
Finally, I made it clear to the director/cinematographer that I would like the shots to be shot in order according to the storyboard. This makes it easier to follow when it comes to editing the shots. A disorganized sequence of shots can take lots more time to edit and could cause confusion about which shot goes where.
Sam Van de Schootbrugge- Incentive

1 comment:

  1. Make it clear that it is both you and Josh undertaking these roles.

    Comment on the actual strengths and weaknesses of your filming and editing - screen grab images from i movie to support your points - how have they added to tension and atmosphere of the piece

    ReplyDelete